- Provide clinical care including Speech Therapy assessment, treatment and management of
patients in the specialty area and handle the complex cases.
- Mentor, and oversee Speech therapists, Technicians and Asst. Technician.
- Responsible for updating personal clinical knowledge and skill in specialized field and participate in clinical research
- Manage an individual case load of patients effectively and efficiently undertaking
predominantly complex cases in area of specialty
- Independently assess, analyze and synthesize complex evaluation data and provide a clinical
diagnosis for individual patients to determine their need for Speech Therapy intervention
within specialty area.
- Independently formulate a treatment plan in collaboration with patient/family, delivering
individual Speech therapy treatment according to evidence based practice /clinical
guidelines approved in the department.
- Reassess clinical outcomes, to determine effectiveness of treatment, progress of patient
towards goals, and the need for modifying goals and treatment
- Carries out a comprehensive discharge plan, and collaborates with the other
multidisciplinary team members and family when the measurable short and long term goals
have been achieved.
- Provide patient and family education in a timely manner as part of the Speech Therapy process.
- Work as part of a team to ensure effective communication and delivery of care including
participation in medical/surgical rounds, clinics, conferences.
- Maintain patient documentation, records and accurate statistical information to reflect care
provided and meet professional standards.
- Communicate and make recommendations to all relevant disciplines of staff to maximize
patient care and promote multidisciplinary team working.
- Assist in developing clinical guidelines to optimize patient care in the area of specialty.
- Work independently to provide Speech Therapy weekend/holiday and on-call care.
- Participate in implementation of HMC and Departmental Policies and Procedures of safety,
infection control and quality improvement.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Delegate appropriate tasks, oversee clinical workload of Speech Therapists, Speech Therapy
Technicians and Assistant Technicians to maximize efficiency and achieve desired quality of
- Participate in the Unit and Job Specific Orientation process for new staff in the assigned
- Monitor and participate in clinical audit in the assigned specialty area, to support the Speech
Therapy Quality Improvement Plan.
- Participate in Speech Therapy in-service and if necessary lead team in-service training to
promote personal development.
- Responsible for developing and updating clinical knowledge and skills in the area of specialty
to ensure delivery of evidence based care and professional growth and development.
- Engage in continuous education programs
- Participate in the development and organization of educational programs for nursing,
medical, other multidisciplinary team members, staff as well as patient’s caregivers.
- Participates in research activities to enhance clinical outcomes and promote evidence –
based clinical practice.
- Act as a mentor to other Speech Therapists and Developees
5 years of clinical experience as Speech Therapist of which 3 years in area of specialty
Has experience and competency in management of speech, language, communication and swallowing disorders and tracheostomy care to provide speech therapy services for adult in-patients through the acute and rehabilitation stages, pediatric in-patients through the acute and rehabilitation stages, pediatric patients in the home health care based on home visits, in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) to provide speech therapy services in Autism Program, additionally, Knowledge of family centered care, in Early Intervention Program.